Hallett Cove Boardwalk to get up and running again

Sunday 12 April 2020

MEDIA RELEASE

South Australians will once again be able to enjoy the iconic Hallett Cove Boardwalk with the Marshall Government committing $2.44 million to ensuring it is reopened safely to the public.

The boardwalk will be repaired, reopened and extended, with a new section of the trail sensitively designed and built from Heron Way Reserve to the Field River mouth.

The sections of boardwalk which span the Grey Road and Kurnabinna Terrace gullies will be entirely rebuilt.

“This important local project is part of our $50 million stimulus measure to get more local projects underway to support local jobs and businesses as we deal with the impacts of the coronavirus,” said Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Local Government Stephan Knoll.

“We have doubled the amount of funding available this year to get more local projects, like the Hallett Cove Boardwalk, off the ground as soon as possible to support jobs, businesses and communities.

“The restrictions currently in place in response to COVID-19 mean walking and exercising is one of the main activities people can safely undertake outside.

“That’s why projects like rebuilding the Hallett Cove boardwalk are more important than ever and will give people another option and activity to enjoy.”

Minister for Environment and Water and local Member for Black David Speirs the much-loved Hallett Cove Boardwalk had been missed by locals and the broader community.

“This iconic walking trail is hugely popular with the local community and offers some of the best views of Adelaide’s pristine beaches and coastline,” said Minister Speirs.

“The Hallett Cove Boardwalk is also a popular destination within the new Glenthorne National Park precinct we are developing for South Australians to enjoy.

“Excitingly, not only are we fixing and rebuilding the boardwalk, but we are also extending it from Heron Way Reserve to the Field North River.

“This means around 30,000 people a year will be able to walk the full length of the 8km walkway from Marino to Hallett Cove.”

The Marshall Government’s $2.44 million contribution will be matched by the City of Marion, with this section of the project costing $4.88 million.

Project works are expected to commence immediately with on-site works to begin within months.